Authorities are investigating a fatal house fire in Simcoe this weekend.
Further details are pending, but Norfolk firefighters were called to a home at the intersection of Robinson Street and Queen Street South around 11:45 p.m. Saturday.
tap here to see other videos from our team.
Acting Sgt. Ed Sanchuk, a spokesperson for the Norfolk OPP, said two individuals escaped the home once the alarm went up. They were treated for smoke inhalation at Norfolk General Hospital nearby. Sanchuk added not everyone made it out.
“Unfortunately, one person was located inside the home deceased,” Sanchuk said in a post on social media. “Our thoughts and prayers go out to everyone who has been affected by this tragedy.”
Sunday morning, the home at 252 Robinson Street showed signs of serious fire and heat damage. The section of the house where the flames were most intense was gutted.
Cory Armstrong-Smith, a fire prevention officer with the Norfolk County Fire Department, said fire crews had the flames under control shortly after they arrived.
Armstrong-Smith says the fire was confined to a single room. This is where authorities found the victim.
Armstrong-Smith reported the unit had working smoke alarms but noted they were installed too close to the floor to be effective.
“Smoke rises to the ceiling, so that’s where your smoke alarms need to be,” Armstrong-Smith said. “Only a properly installed and working smoke alarm will give you the precious seconds you need to make your escape. Make sure your smoke alarms are installed as per manufacturer instructions.”
The Ontario Fire Marshal’s Office has been called in to investigate. An investigator on the scene Sunday was expected to wrap up the probe on Monday. Responding to the emergency along with firefighters from Simcoe were fire crews from Delhi and Waterford.
The home is surrounded by yellow police tape. An officer from the Norfolk OPP was monitoring the scene Sunday.
UPDATE – Fatal fire investigation continues at Queen St S and Robinson St in #Simcoe. 2 people escaped from residence and were treated for smoke inhalation at a local area hospital. @ONFireMarshal is on scene. @NorfolkCoFire @NorfolkEMS @NorfolkCountyCA #NorfolkOPP ^es pic.twitter.com/R0QHGU2WgK — OPP West Region (@OPP_WR) January 23, 2022