A Norfolk County senior citizen is out $37,000 after falling victim to an online scam.
The resident was contacted on social media by a “friend” regarding a humanitarian grant in Texas, and asked if they would like to invest in order to double their money. About $37,000 was forwarded.
The victim then contacted the friend, who had no idea about the message or money request. The victim realized it was a scam and contacted the police.
The OPP is urging everyone to be aware of online scams.
Police tips to avoid scams include:
- Don’t expect to get rich quick.
- Be careful with your personal information.
- Don’t be lured by claims of insider information.
- Delete and block spam emails.
- Do your own research and make sure you get all the information you need before you invest and use a reputable person or agency when you decide to invest your hard-earned money.