Advertisement 1

Province extends stay-at-home order

Brantford-Brant reports 42 new cases, 14 hospitalizations

Article content

Brantford-Brant continues to see a high number of residents testing positive for COVID-19, with 42 new cases reported Friday in the past 24 hours.

Advertisement 2

Story continues below

Article content

The dramatic numbers – which include 14 people hospitalized at Brantford General Hospital – were reported on the same day that Premier Doug Ford announced an extension by two weeks of an earlier stay at home order and other restrictions to curb the spread of COVID-19.

“The pace of our vaccine supply has not kept up with the spread of the new COVID variants,” Ford said in announcing the new restrictions.

“But if we dig in and remain steadfast we can turn this around. We’re down but by no means are we out.”

New restrictions include: Outdoor gatherings are restricted to members of your own household only, however, anyone who lives alone can join with one other household; closing of all non-essential construction; restricting all outdoor recreational amenities including golf courses, basketball courts and playgrounds; and reducing capacity of big box retail stores to 25 per cent.

Restrictions on outdoor gatherings take effect at 12:01 a.m. Saturday.

At 12:01 a.m. Monday further restrictions take effect, including a capacity limit of 10 at religious gatherings, weddings and funerals. There will be checkpoints at provincial borders with Quebec and Manitoba with exceptions for essential travel.

Police will have the authority to ask anyone outside their residence to indicate their purpose for leaving home and provide their address.

Locally, of the 14 people in Brantford General Hospital, 10 are in acute care and four are in the intensive care unit.

Advertisement 3

Story continues below

Article content

The additional cases reported Friday brings the number of new cases for the week to 202 with two days of data still to report. Last week there were a total of 194 cases.

There were, as of Friday, 288 active cases in Brantford-Brant. The health unit says 2,292 people have tested positive since the pandemic began and of those 1,990 have recovered.

Fourteen people in Brantford-Brant have died as a result of COVID-19.

Variants of concern continue to grow locally. Overall the health unit has reported 232 cases that have the N501Y mutation with the presumed lineage of B.1.1.7 (UK), 32 cases with both the N501Y and E484K mutation, 35 cases with only the E484K mutation and four cases of the P.1 (Brazil) lineage.

Meanwhile, the health unit has administered 38,516 doses of vaccine and 3,885 people have completed their vaccine series.

Outbreaks of COVID-19 have been declared at the Brantford Transit Terminal and Brant Food Centre. The outbreaks were announced by the Brant County Health Unit and city officials on Friday.

Four employees at the transit terminal and two employees at Brant Food Centre have tested positive.

“At this time, public health officials believe transit users would be at low-risk of transmission resulting from this outbreak,” a spokesperson for the city said Friday.

“Public Health has also determined Brantford Transit is following proper cleaning protocols whereby each vehicle is thoroughly cleaned every night after service using a disinfectant cleaner which is on the approved list for use against COVID-19 by Health Canada.”

Advertisement 4

Story continues below

Article content

The transit terminal will remain open with health unit approval, the spokesperson said.

Any transit rider who attended the terminal between the period of April 6 and 12 who is concerned about a possible exposure or is experiencing symptoms related to COVID-19, can contact the Brant Community Healthcare System to arrange for assessment and testing.

The Brant Food Centre outbreak was declared on April 14, after two cases of COVID-19 were found in staff members that did not have clear, identifiable transmission sources outside of this establishment.

The health unit classifies customers as low-risk for acquiring COVID-19. However, anyone who attended the food centre between the periods of March 22-27, March 30, April 1 and April 3-5 who is worried about possible exposure or is experiencing COVID-19 related symptoms, can contact the Brant Community Healthcare System at https://www.bchsys.org/en/covid-19-online-scheduling.aspx to arrange for assessment and testing.

The food centre will remain open.

Any high-risk, close contacts to the affected cases identified by BCHU are currently self-isolating.

A workplace outbreak is declared when there are two or more laboratory-confirmed COVID-19 cases with an epidemiological link in the workplace (e.g., same work area, same shift) within a 14-day period, where cases could have reasonably acquired their infection in the workplace.

As per typical case and contact management protocols, the individuals who have tested positive for COVID-19 have been directed to self-isolate for 10 days.

Meanwhile, Six Nations reported no new cases on Friday but 121 people are in self-isolation and there are nine active cases, figures provided by Ohsweken Public Health say.

There have been 453 cases of COVID-19 on Six Nations since the pandemic began and of those, 434 have been resolved. Ten people on Six Nations have died as a result of COVID-19.

Public health says 2,211 doses of vaccine have been administered and 676 people have completed their vaccination series.

Latest National Stories

Advertisement 1

Story continues below

News Near Tillsonburg

This Week in Flyers