Our Banana Bread Pudding combines two crowd-pleasing desserts. Sliced banana and toasted pecans add flavour and texture to the classic bread pudding recipe. A simple Warm Chocolate Sauce made with whipping cream and semi-sweet chocolate adds the final touch.
3 large eggs
3 large egg yolks
3 cups light cream (10%)
1 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup salted butter, melted
16 cups day-old French bread cubes (1/2 inch)
3 medium bananas, sliced
1 1/2 cups toasted pecans, coarsely chopped
Warm Chocolate Sauce (recipe follows)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Whisk together eggs and egg yolks in a large bowl. Whisk in cream, sugar and vanilla until blended and sugar is dissolved. Stir in melted butter. Add bread cubes and stir gently to combine.
- Spoon half of bread cube mixture into a greased 9×13 inch baking dish. Top with banana slices and sprinkle with half of pecans. Spoon remaining bread cube mixture over top. Sprinkle with remaining pecans.
- Bake, covered, for 30 minutes.
- Uncover and continue baking for 15 – 20 minutes or until a knife inserted in centre comes out clean.
- Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
- Serve warm with Warm Chocolate Sauce. Serves 10.
Warm Chocolate Sauce
3/4 cup whipping cream
8 squares semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
- Place cream in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring frequently. Remove from heat.
- Add chocolate and stir until chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth. May be refrigerated for up to 24 hours. Reheat over low heat. Makes about 1 cup.
ATCO Blue Flame Kitchen – For tips on cooking, food safety or household matters, email firstname.lastname@example.org or chat with us live online at ATCOBlueFlameKitchen.com.