The Alzheimer Society of Oxford recently announced its 2017 Walk for Alzheimer's events in Tillsonburg, Ingersoll and Woodstock raised a record-breaking $141,867.20.
The organization would like to extend an enormous thank you to all of the walkers, donors, volunteers, and sponsors who made the events a success. The money raised at the three 2017 Walks stays in Oxford County and helps provide crucial programs and services for local residents with Alzheimer's or dementia and their families.
"We're absolutely thrilled with the results of this year's Walk for Alzheimer's," said Shelley Green, Executive Director of the Alzheimer Society of Oxford in a media release. "This year's total is the most we have ever raised since the Walks began 22 years ago. We are absolutely blessed to have such a supportive and generous community."
The Walks across Oxford County are the organization's largest fundraiser each year.
The 2017 Walk for Alzheimer's also included a special addition - the unveiling of the Walker Wall of Fame, which recognized 21 dedicated participants who have raised more than $5,000 for the Society over the years.
Funds generated by the Walk are absolutely essential for the Alzheimer Society of Oxford, as the organization is required to fundraise 38 per cent of its budget. The provincial government provides the remaining 62 per cent through the South West Local Health Integration Network.