Working smoke alarms save lives

Article content

Tillsonburg Fire and Rescue Services responded to a reported structure fire on Sunday, November 2nd in Tillsonburg.

Upon arrival, firefighters discovered an overpressure situation on a boiler system that had produced light smoke in the residence. Crews quickly shut off the natural gas supply to the boiler unit and ventilated the structure. Damage was limited to the boiler system.

As part of the investigation, fire crews determined that the residence only had one working smoke alarm on the main level and none were present in the basement or on the second floor. The Ontario Fire Code requires a working smoke alarm every level of the house and outside of all sleeping areas.

"With Fire Prevention Week having just concluded, it is disappointing that we are still finding residences without working smoke alarms despite all of our Public Education efforts," said Fire Chief Jeff Smith. "To date, 72 people in Ontario have died this year in 57 fatal fires. Many fatal fires start at night. The smell of smoke alone won't necessarily wake you up. In fact, the fumes could put you into an even deeper sleep. Often, victims never wake up. Only a working smoke alarm can save your life."

Approximately 20 firefighters were in attendance at the incident.

Damage was limited to the boiler. The cause appeared to be a malfunction in the boiler system which interrupted the water supply to the boiler causing the boiler to run dry.


This advertisement has not loaded yet, but your article continues below.

Article content

News Near Tillsonburg

This Week in Flyers