A daytime break-and-enter in Zorra Township last Friday resulted in the loss of electronics and jewellery amounting to $10,000.
A metallic blue GMC pickup truck was spotted in the area of Road 66 and 31st Line in Zorra Township. Police are looking to speak with anyone who may have seen anything suspicious in the area between 9 a.m. and 2 p.m. on the 22nd. Contact the OPP at 1-888-310-1122 or the nearest police authority.
Should you wish to remain anonymous, you may call Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477 (TIPS), where you may be eligible to receive a cash reward of up to $2,000.
8 TIPS TO PROTECT YOUR PROPERTY
Oxford County OPP is offering the following proven Crime Prevention Through Environmental Design tips to help home owners protect their property. Research indicates the decision to commit a crime is tied to the perceived risk of being caught. Criminals will look for the easy target. Are you doing enough to secure your property?
- Target harden your home, garage and sheds by locking your doors with a quality lock set, including during daylight hours. For added security, consider installing a dead bolt locking system.
- Motion activated lighting will deter a potential thief and help alert possible witnesses.
- Be careful from obscuring sightlines from windows and doors with too much landscaping. Excessive landscaping can give a criminal the opportunity to move about your property without being noticed. Keep bushes, hedges and trees trimmed near your home.
- Photograph your valuables, record the serial number and consider engraving a unique identifier. Positively identifying your property will help police hold a thief accountable.
- Make sure your home always looks lived in (e.g. newspapers/flyers picked up, snow shovelled, timed lighting systems etc.)
- Get to know your neighbours and encourage them to keep an eye out for suspicious activity around your property.
- If you have a security system, use it. Ensure that your contact list is current and up to date.
- Be a good neighbour and remember if you see something suspicious report it to police when you see it!
Anyone interested in more crime prevention tips is encouraged to visit http://www.opp.ca and a Home Security Audit Guide can be found under the What We Do/Community Issues/Safe Guard Ontario tab.