Excerpts from the Tillsonburg News archives:
May 21, 1925
WARNING TO CYCLISTS
Bicycle riders should remember that while there is a by-law on the town statute books giving them the privilege of using the sidewalks on certain streets in town, there are also regulations. These seem to have been lost sight of, and indeed, have never been taken seriously. Accidents have occurred from time to time, through carelessness or recklessness of the riders. The authorities have determined to put a stop to it.
Bicyclists are required to exercise care when meeting or passing pedestrians, and to dismount when necessary for safety.
Unless this is done, the privilege of riding on the sidewalks will be withdrawn in the very near future.
May 21, 1925
Tillsonburg Golf Links
A few months ago the Tillsonburg Golf and Country Club was organized and the necessary charter obtained. The McDonald farm, on the west borders of town, was purchased.
Last Monday afternoon a representative of The News was conducted over the course and shown the improvements that have been made, and he was astounded by the transformation in so short a time.
Trees have been uprooted, thick underbrush in the ravines have been cleared away, rough places made smooth, a nine-hole course laid out and seeded. Fairways are now in shape for practice for members whose dues have been paid.
July 16, 1925
OLD LANDMARK TORN DOWN
The oldest known building in Tillsonburg, which still retains its original design, is being torn down and will be replaced by a modern and up-to-date dentist office.
This landmark stood in the central part of our renowned Broadway, while the town has grown from a mere hamlet, through its stage as a good, live village, until the town reached its present dimensions and is known from one end of the country to the other as one of the best towns in Canada.
Situated on the southwest corner of Broadway and Oxford Streets, in striking contrast to the splendid blocks on the opposite corners, this relic of the old days stood longer than the oldest citizens can remember.
Back in about 1845, the late John McIntyre, father of John McIntyre of North Broadway, built the store, moving his merchandise from Bloomer Street, near the flour mill.
At that time, Tillsonburg was known as Dereham Forge, and there were only a few scattered buildings and very few stores. There were only two or three industries in operation, one being the old saw mill, in the hollow, owned by the Tillsons, and an axe factory halfway down the hill at the foot of Harvey Street, owned by Darrow and Levatt. Neither building exists today.
Although the village possessed only about 200 people, its streets had already been laid out in practically their present form, by the late George Tillson, grandfather of E.V. Tillson, who had a vision of the town’s possible growth.
Broadway was a plank road, where the wagons jolted along on the uneven planks. There was no necessity for the well known signs, “Speed Limit 20 mph.”
When McIntyre died the property passed on to his widow, who held it until sold to Dr. H. McQueen about 18 years ago.
At one time, it rented as low as $1 a month, which increased to $3, and about 1870, when an oil boom was on in the district, an oil company rented it for $12 a month. This lasted for only about a year. When the bubble burst, rent went back to $3.
Many of the older residents will remember it being occupied by Mr. Beaupre and later Pat Kenney, as a cobbler’s shop. More recently a laundry and second-hand furniture store.
Most of the timbers are pine, the studding 2x8, the joists 8x10, and hand hewn.
Dr. McQueen is razing this old building to the ground and purposes erecting an up-to-date dental office in its stead, which will greatly improve the appearance of this busy corner.
Port Rowan News
All the vendors of soft drinks such as lemonade and 4.4 beer are subject to a luxury tax of 10 per cent, and need a license also. This is a serious matter for the vendors, but the thing that irritates them the most is the number of inspectors who go about to spy out the land and leach a fat living out of an unwilling community.
If these able bodied men could be set to work at some real employment, they might help the country get out of debt.